Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Sets of Real Numbers

When teaching sets of Real Numbers, I have always used a Venn diagram to help the students visualize the relationships between the subsets of numbers.  However, this is the first year that I used a Venn Diagram with the subsets nested horizontally as opposed to vertically.  For some reason, the kids really got the concept quickly.  I expected my honors students to move quickly through the lesson but not necessarily my inclusion classes. What a pleasant surprise!  I think this horizontal layout helped them to see how the numbers on the Real number line are related to the sets of  Integers, Whole and Natural numbers.  My, what a difference a small change can make in getting the concept across.  Here is the fold-able that we glued into our "Math Bible".

Front of fold-able

Class examples on the back side of the fold-able

The sets of numbers defined on the back side of the fold-able.  We used an accordion fold and glue the bottom 1/4 of the page into the book.

Back page

Front page

1 comment:

  1. You have shared what a great article regarding Real Number. I think the basic concept of the real number is very important for the kids to solve the questions related it. I like your way of describing this article. I appreciated your work. keep sharing helpful post like this.
    Learn Math Online

    ReplyDelete